About

markpontoniI now live in northern Michigan, though most of my life was spent in Ann Arbor, where my three children and one grandchild still live.  Moving to the great white north has helped me see things from perspectives I couldn’t consider before.

I am a teacher by trade, but a student by occupation.  The more I learn about politics in my state, the more questions I have.  I recently told a friend that maybe I’m too old to be this angry about things.  And then I realized that being this angry is keeping me young.

Advertisements

8 Comments on “About”

1. Doug Nelson January 18, 2017 at 5:48 pm #

Your recent piece in the Northern Expresswas excellent. Poignant, to be sure,but true to my progressive values. How great to see a voice for the true American dream in northern Michigan. Keep writing and sharing your ideas. Thanks, from a retired high school English teacher!

• Mark Pontoni January 18, 2017 at 5:58 pm #

Thanks very much.

• Steve Redder April 22, 2018 at 1:27 pm #

Hey Mark. I am starting a Fuck you hashtag. Sorry ass hole like you can not be a member.

• Mark Pontoni July 11, 2018 at 6:39 pm #

What’s cool is this makes no sense. But did anyone really expect you to?

2. Budd Cicciarelli January 7, 2019 at 10:39 am #

Over 400k new manufacturing jobs to American workers in less than 2 years; last Admin. lost over 200K manufacturing jobs and made it clear that they would never come back to the States. Here is the challenge for you: in your next opinion peace list 3 things you feel our prez has done to help the working class and then you can balance that with 3 things you feel that have hurt the working class. (the catch: they must relate only to tangible job and paycheck topics) ////this is in response to you opinion peace: “It’s not me, It;s you” in the NExpressWk 12/31….a piece that I found to be so easy to write…but not at all thought provoking. Perhaps one needs ‘contrast’ to get a vibrant picture.

• Mark Pontoni January 12, 2019 at 6:30 am #

I would love to write about ANYTHING he’s done to help the working class. Alas, I don’t write fiction.

3. Mike Durbin February 5, 2019 at 5:55 pm #

Mark, I’m sorry to read that you’re leaving, but I feel confident that your voice will continue to be heard. I met you first at MAMUN conferences in BC and Kazoo, and your work impressed me there. Lately, your words have brought a very necessary perspective to northern Michigan, and I’ve been keen to follow them. Please continue your great work, and good luck in your next venture!

4. Alison paton February 6, 2019 at 10:56 am #

Thank you, Mark, for your insightful columns over the years, and for having the courage to keep speaking out despite the hateful comments and threats. Wishing you the best.